Monday, August 4, 2008

when horses act like horses

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a professional equine behaviorist and that I run a small, non-profit horse rescue at my farm. It has been an exceptional experience regarding the insights into horse and human behaviors. It lead me to my masters in horse assisted therapies. This past Sunday was a graphic reminder of the physical and social power of horses among themselves. They can be 1000 lbs of kindness, gentle companionship, docile communication. They can also be extraordinarily brutal to each other in a split second. Just such an occasion took place this weekend. It was morning feeding time and the 11 horses in our care had just received their grain as they do every morning. Usually there is no upset, no rivalry, no contention. Each horse goes to their stall or feeding station and waits for their portion. Soft nickers tickle the cool morning air. The sound of horses munching their ration saturates the barn.
All was well, I loaded two massive bales of hay to take out to the mud less end of the paddock and began setting out the portions. This took maybe 10 minutes. When I returned to the barn, a spectacular gelding was in a state of trembling at the gateway. At first no sign of trouble. All other horses were as they should be. But the horse wanted me. Then on closer inspection, when I entered the common area of the barn, I saw it. This horse had been savaged by another. One of the alpha mares took exception to his being too close to her stall door and lunged at his rump. She scored in her reprimand. With her powerful jaws, razor-sharp incisor's, and furious mind, she tore a slab of hide and meat from his hindquarters the size of a dinner-plate. The wound was horrific, mauled tissue hanging by a thin piece of hide, weeping, bleeding, purging. I could not fix this without a horse vet.
I had to move horses around, clear a stall for this horse's safety, roll my kids out of bed to come and help to sanitize a stall. I phoned the vet's answering service dreading the emergency-on-a-Sunday farm visit fee. This could not wait; if there was any hope in restoring the damage and avoiding massive, debilitating infection, the vet had to come today.
I spoke with the vet, she knows I don't call unless the damage is beyond my palliative skills and supplies. It would be an hour before she could get here. Oh well, at least she can come. If you've ever wondered how a lady vet who is all of 5'6" and 110 lbs can help a 1200 lb. horse who is overcome with fear and pain, the answer is drugs. Tranquilizers, numbing agents, more tranqs....
When she arrived, evaluated the damage and set to work. Stabilize, sanitize, begin reconstruction of tissues and structures. Three and a half hours later, every inch of suture material she carried used up, multiple doses of tranq and litacain, she had created a work of art. She was able to successfully restore all layers of tissue to their proper places. An adaptive suturing technique to accommodate the movement of the region. It was, compared to the mauled mess she started with, beautiful. The bill will be huge, $700 I'm sure. Now we are in the daily ritual of antibiotics, (25 cc penicillin am & pm, with 30cc genticin am), hot packs 3x a day, bute 2x a day, body work, arnica and hypericum homeopathic support and love). In 10 days, we'll know if he'll heal to a functional degree. He is a lovely horse; eight years old, nearly 16h, rich bay, beautiful face, former harness racer name of Mighty Legacy. So far, so good. He is a trooper and a talented horse. We'll do all that we can and more. My next two weeks will be dominated by his needs; my kids will all help. They will learn the value of caring for more than themselves, helping however they can, for one who can not help themselves. . . but Lord have mercy; I hate it when horses act like horses...

luv and peace ~ el

this post is for Mighty and his brave heart, the exceptional lady vet, Anne, who restored him, and the lessons this event taught my kids and me...be well Mighty, gentle thoughts go out to you

No comments: