Saturday, September 6, 2008

The wonder of horses...


If you know me, you know that I have a horse farm. If you don't know me, a little background may help you get a better picture. Its not an average horse farm, but rather a typical hill farm with an exceptional purpose. It does not have fancy barns or a comfortable lounge (coming soon in 2010). We sit on bales of hay and pee in a clean horse stall. This is a horse rescue farm specializing in assisting former harness racing horses. Awesome brown horses who have been lucky enough to come here instead of auction or slaughter. For twenty years, I've built my base of knowledge, a posse of volunteers and a community of learners to help with this comprehensive task. It has been the most rewarding and joy-filled experience I have ever known with horses. Through the years, we were becoming well known in racing; assisting dozens of horses every year and my group of horse loving volunteers needed help. I reached out to the differently-abled community and they delivered whole heartily. This turned a page for me and evoked a whole new professional path for my equinery skills. I now aspire to evolve my odd little farm into a therapeutic learning center. Several years ago I embarked on a masters degree in this field of horse-assisted therapies; I certified in my preferred professional organization, EAGALA, I drafted a program the Learn'ed Horse Project and offered it to the public. These days, I am enjoying the participation of a teenage student who is passionate about horses, beautiful, articulate, differently-abled. Working with Felicia is an endearing experience. It has rekindled my joy of horses and my faith in sharing that which I love. Though HOURSE in VT is paid for this service, it has become a restorative opportunity for me. It is one of my better talents to mentor a novice with horses and a very satiating endeavor for me. At our farm, we are horse-centered in how we offer horsemanship. Always infusing the empathy for the horse's situation, seeking in ourselves, what is our responsibility in supporting him in successfully working with us, how do we ensure his desire to be with us.... In this expectation, a little piece of magic happens. In this process of observing, evaluating, assessing, asking and listening of the horse, the student becomes entwined with the horse's perspective and perception; what it's like to be this horse as we ask for his co-operation. What a therapist would call an "empathetic moment". I call it becoming a better human. Twenty years ago, as a professional horseman embarking on this horse rescue adventure (sometimes mis-adventures), I never imagined that it would be a horse that made us better persons, a kinder partner in a relationship, a more forgiving friend, a more gentle member of a community... like a midwife for personal discovery, I am blessed to witness this "birth of humanity" with every student who comes to this farm, my farm. I hope when these people are older, wiser and set in their lives, they will look back and remember the glow in my smile as I stood at the back of the "session" and silently lauded their discovery, I hope in their recollections, they will then know the gift they brought to me. This is INFINITY FARM live~learn~grow, come visit some time, bring carrots.
luv and peace ~ el

this is for the awesome brown horses and all they have taught me and continue to offer me...

No comments: