Friday, May 22, 2009

Chrome in the Twilight Zone

Yesterday, was an unusually stressful day, aggravation galore, addled plans...."fear not" (it says that 365 times in the Bible ~ coincident? but that's another story),in the green mountains the twilight zone awaits. A portal to another place and time. A sensational experience to sooth the soul...if, you know a good man with an awesome Harley Davidson. Just so happens, I know such a man. I called him: "please, if you don't have a better offer, can you take me for a twirl...I've no curfew tonight...we can ride in the dark, I've never been out after dark..." The kind man appeared, HD tee-shirt, shiny bike, big smile, bigger hug. It was 90 degrees, warm enough to ride sleeveless but I'll not give up my chaps. He picks on me for that, I harp back at him; "gotta keep something between me and the road if we ditch and you don't catch me..." We mounted up, rolled away from the grazing horses and headed up hill. "Where we going?" I asked. "Do you need to know everything? It's the driver's choice...to a mountain you don't work on." He cranked her up and over the Notch. I leaned up on his shoulder and lamented; "burrrr...'ride in a tee-shirt', you said, 'there's nothing like the wind in your shirt', you said...I know your game..." He laughed; asked "do you want your jacket?" "no, I'm good...for now..." I lasted another 5 minutes. He felt me shiver, pulled off and broke out my jacket for me. We watched a sport bike ascend for the third time, cranking the twisties as fast as he could grind them. I noticed he was riding alone and fiercely. "He needs a girlfriend; only an angry, lonely man would be so frantic for speed..." I said this out loud. My driver laughed; we mounted up and rolled gently down into Moscow, through Waterbury and then where I no longer knew the roads we were on. The sun was dropping and reminding me how much I needed glacier glasses for the brightest days. Easing into the Mad River Valley, I finally knew where we were. Another placid, pastoral Vermont burg. The birds gave up for the day and the peepers amplified their chorus in the night air as we stopped for a stretch. Even over the loud pipes their rhythm was in perfect time with the bike. All of the day's flack peeled away as I squeezed up close to my biker friend in a vain effort to stay warmer than the night air. Stopping for a rest and some chocolate it was time to turn her around. He had an early morning, it was getting past my bed time. Following a different road back, beautiful white pines with arching green canopies cloaking the road. The massive HD head lamp lit up a perfect halo leading our way. A rare window light could be seen. Only us and the occasional car on the blacktop. It was the most peaceful part of the day, this twilight. At our last stop this big man lit up the gleaming engine in blue twinkle lights. The reflection off the chrome was celestial. Like some ethereal spirit we rolled across the miles. Looking west, the sun was below the ridge line back lighting the height of land in pristine silhouette. "ohhhh, it's so beautiful..." I whispered as he pointed to the spectacular scene while we cruised along, the road all to ourselves. He put her in a low gear evoking the soft purr of his machine; his warmth in my face,,,I was blissed-out, perfectly content, meditative in my thoughts. Time slowed down, Vermont revealed her glory, Harley Davidson earned a fan, and I fell in love...
peace out ~ ell

this is in praise of God and a life worth living,,,

No comments: