Monday, June 22, 2009

17 Miles. . . me and the BRC part I


I've been riding two-up for three summers now. Last fall, I got the notion that I should get my motorcycle endorsement and be able to ride my own bike when and where I wanted to. Join a club, start a group with some local riders. It's such a keen culture. So having missed all the '08 Basic Rider Courses, I targeted the first course I could fit into in spring '09. I counted the days, read books and awesome moto-riding blogs (Better Motorcycling is the best for accurate skills development the address: http://bettermotorcycling.wordpress.com/). I was primed. That was probably my first error; there would be many more in this 3 part story. It's always a set up for divergent outcomes when one sets their hopes so high, outcomes begin to feel dream-like (that should be read: fantasy). The BRC is a 20 hour, intensive course presented by highly experienced instructors in the artful skill of riding a motorcycle, successfully (with the rubber side down, walking away from every ride). The goal is to teach the student everything one needs to know to pass the DMV driver test for motorcycles in VT. Back in April, I went to a 4 hour classroom training to get my permit. I passed the written exam with only one error. I was convinced I could take the BRC and pass the test. On Friday, June 19, I walked into the classroom at 6:15 pm ( last and late because I couldn't understand the directions they sent me). I was asked to introduce myself, why I was taking the class, and what was my experience, what kind of bike did I have. I quickly gave my name and town, my interest in pursuing driving after riding with several men "who would like to see me on my own bike, I think they're just tired of hauling me around..." Folks chuckled as was my hope, but when I stated that I did not have my own bike, and I have never driven a motorcycle, the room went silent. My instructor actually hung his head and managed to say something like "that will make things interesting..." I came into the class thinking it would be suitable for a "never-ever" like me. After all, it is the BRC, not the Advanced Rider's course... With that expectation and the self confidence that I am a good athlete, a quick learner and my brain rot seemed very stable this spring, I settled into my chair and opened my book. Filling out my name card, I noticed our table of 3 women and one man had chosen the name: the UpRights as our "study gang" At the first break, we shared stories about rides. They all had bikes, all had some experience riding. In fact, I soon learned that the other nine students all had bikes, all had "seat time". That was the first clue that I was in over my head. During the break, I phoned my biker-chauffeur-honey and choked out the words: "I feel stupid... There is a lot of technical stuff, I don't know any of it..." But I didn't feel like quitting; I committed to the class to learn: "can I ride or can I not." That was my objective. I thought I didn't care about the endorsement, that I really just wanted to learn in the safety of BRC, with excellent coaches and somebody else's bike... At 9pm, we had gotten through the first 4o questions. There were 126 in the 50 page manual. I knew all the definitions, all the jargon, all the pre-ride TCLOCS checklists, the start up and shut down protocols, the ever essential riding strategy: SEE (Search Evaluate Execute...). I had read the MSF (motorcycle safety foundation) training manual twice, highlighted all the important stuff. I found their training videos on line. I was well versed and sounded like I could do it, the instructor was feeling more confident in me. I disclosed my brain injury to him. He stated that he would make sure I understood the exercises, that we got rest breaks. I was concerned about my stamina and my gaiting/balance when I get tired. At the end of the class, I went to my hotel room hoping to sleep well and wake ready for the range...the second error in my seemingly well planned weekend. It was a warm night, no fresh air, a noisy heat pump out side, I didn't bring my coveted pillows and my sweet man couldn't join me. I went to sleep promising myself to make it to the range early, get a feel for the bikes, breathe in ~ breathe out and take the first steps to live a dream... Just be aware in this story, if there is one thing to know about me, it is how stubborn I am; remember, "love~kills~slowly". . . more to come
peace ~ ell

No comments: