Saturday, July 19, 2008

if its not one thing, its two. . .

Spent yesterday dodging thunderstorms and downpours. Too nasty to be outside, by dawn a backyard lightening strike fried my DSL and woke me up. My storm sensitive dog hid under my bed and I rolled over unconcerned, the storm was intense, a frantic light show but I have great confidence in this old farm house. A classic brick federal that's been here for 200 years. Its raised umpteen kids and five generations of Vermonters. Now its duty is to us. Its gracious, green and grand in the most simple way. Passing the time, we read long ignored books, went up-street to catch a movie. All blissfully ignorant of the "tornado" that peeled through the valley at 3:2o pm. We don't have television here and I play the radio only when I'm in the barn. In this case, I am glad. While this old farm was untouched, not a leaf in the yard merely drive a half mile in any direction and see the trauma. Barns collapsed, massive trees snapped off straddling roof tops too stubborn to cave. The real scare was the down power lines across the roads. But blessings to the road crews and swarm of chainsaw brandishing neighbors who expertly cleared roads. There's a lot of fire wood in the ditches now if only I had a rig to line up and get some. It'll be the talk of the town for a long while.
All is quiet and lovely, the after storm promise. It's good to be back and jot my thoughts here. Every bike going by with loud pipes makes me lonesome for a ride up country. I do adore that call, the rumble of a windswept lapse from the weight of everyday. Vermont is a small place, but lots of people go their own way, riding solo, seemingly prohibited from offering a ride. I need to put the word out: "VT renaissance woman" willing and ready to ride... there goes another; so lucky they are. . .
"live an interesting life and you will meet interesting people". . . time to find the door.
luv and peace ~ el

this post is in memory of the green mtn boy and farmer who sited this home and farm for having the wisdom to read the land and know how to live with nature. circa 1793

No comments: