Thursday, April 23, 2009

April unfolding


April is odd. The ungraceful transition from winter wonders, slogging through mud-season, limping into a promised spring. There is still snow on the crown of Mt. Mansfield indicating the mountain road is still closed. The sugaring is done for this year; a short but prolific season, so they say. It has been blessed with more sunshine than rain; a precedent I hope continues through summer. We need a good hay crop this year. Last year was short and low quality driving prices up by 100%. May the trend continue for the weeks ahead; my biggest piece of hope is for a sparkling summer to ride motorcycles, drive horses, skid a little firewood(with horses)...
The highlight of April was the ascent to the top of Sterling Mountain for the sunrise Easter service. About a hundred intrepid souls made the chilling chair-ride up. While not raining, it was blustery. I gave my down parka to younger daughter as she dressed for the base lodge temperature and not the summit gale. I gave my sub-zero gloves to older daughter as she has never been to summit and was not prepared. By God's grace the service lasted only 20 minutes, a couple songs, one psalm, and a pastor with fingers too frozen to strum his guitar. As we faced easterly, singing Amazing Grace acappella ,the sun emerged from the clouds just in time to make it worth the frigid adventure. My girls were actually speechless and seemingly appreciated the sacrificial nature of the gathering; or they were too cold to complain. It was a good Easter, with good neighbors and good weather. No candy, no baskets, just luv and peace. Now my valley farm awaits and we clean up the toll of winter, coax the flowers out and count the hardiest moto-riders gliding by as they catch the earliest miles. Leaning on a rake, I smile silently: eight weeks, only 56 days until I take my Basic Riders Course...I'm primed. Meanwhile, saws, hammers and nails beckon me. Work smart, play smart...be well.
luv and peace ~ ell

No comments: