Tuesday, April 14, 2009

what horses know


A sparkling day here , warm, mudless and spring. The horses were enjoying all of it with all their exuberant vigor. I have a young gelding name of Shood Ari who has spent his winter in a safety paddock for his protection. Today he was turned out with the gang on four acres of flat, dry, former pasture (soon to be soft fruit plantation). He is only 4 years old, tall, dark and handsome. He ran, jumped, bucked, rolled, splashed in the vernal pond, instigated, aggravated, jubilated....he couldn't get a good game of horseplay going, excepting for one horse. Big Kate, a blind, older mare who is not ready to quit being a joyful horse anytime soon. She ran, tail flagging, chasing and being chased by Shoodi. It was fun to watch these two awesome brown horses loving life on a precious afternoon. Horses get it; they get what really matters - food, drink, friends, family(herd), home...A few years ago, while I was in my Masters program for horse assisted therapies, I spent some time pondering why horses were such exceptional teachers to man. I looked back at my experiences, good/bad, sweet/bitter, and made a list which I presented in my mid-term presentation. I have since included this list on our HOURSE in VT web site (under horses helping people). I'll copy and paste it here as it often serves as a "grounding" treatise for me when I am vexed by mis-guided expectations. They say a horse has a brain the size of a small apple. They can't reason. But they know how to live life grandly...when we stop to witness them, this is obvious. They amaze me always, the better piece of my heart belongs to them.
What horses have taught me...
Keep it simple
There is no need for time, only day and night
Be quietly persistent
Have fun every day
Don’t hold grudges
Trust good people
Submit if it is the only means to survive
Have an interest in living
Run as fast as you can sometimes. It’s very liberating
Be mindful of your mother
Play foalish games no matter how old you are
When an opportunity to escape presents itself, take it! You can always come home
It’s a good feeling to fall asleep in the sun sometimes
It’s even better to stomp a puddle now and then
If you fall down, get back up and shake it off
Take the time to chew your food
Share it with a friend when they are hungry too
When you learn a trick to life, teach anyone who wants to learn
When you disagree, walk away when you can
If you must fight, make it brief and powerful and get over it
When vexed, eat something; you’ll feel better
When someone you know is in need, is ill, or is dying, show concern;

tell them you love them and wish them well
Take care of each other
Find peace in letting go
Forgive a friend for dying
Forgive myself for failing

I imagine a place where people help horses and horses help people. A place where those who seek kind thoughts and good works can learn, grow, live. A place where the possibilities are endless. A place called INFINITY FARM.
come visit some time ~ bring carrots
peace ~ ell

No comments: