Monday, April 13, 2009

LKS




I'm home from work for now, ignoring chores and busywork; annoyed with crisp weather and muddy trails. The warmer days, even at 40 degrees, are warm enough to aggravate my brain rot and so I dream of the moto season ahead. I got into a Basic Rider Course with a friend coming up in June. I don't imagine a bike of my own (yet) but at least I'll be a "more informed passenger" on the back seat, so my biker chauffeurs say. I think they are a bit nostalgic of last summer when cruising me around and someone to sample random diners with. They might be a tad worried that I'll go solo and leave them behind. Truth is, I doubt that. It's my favorite place to be. So after taking the free motorcycle learners permit class and getting the B-Jezzus scared out of me; I am upgrading my lid. With all the sites on line, there were hundreds to choose from. The safety instructors insisted on DOT (federal safety standard) "full face to save your face" an or a 3/4 face minimum but full-face was the best. Cost did not guarantee better safety, better comfort maybe...soooooo...I narrowed it down to two lids that I liked, allot. Pics are included here.(though I already made my purchase given the preference of my chauffeurs and all of their highly respected wisdom) My current lid is DOT approved open face/half lid. I love it; the wind is in my face and once last summer, a bug (it has no shield, just my sun glasses). So when you see the pics, let me know. The full face is very safe, stylish (a must for my turnout) and looks mature and sophisticated. The 3/4 with shield has a kewl graphic that resonates deeply within me. It is a copyrighted design with a skull, heart and saber with a banner encrypted: Love_ Kills_ Slowly. Wow. I find it more a testimonial than a grim reminder of perilous roads. If one gets too narrow in their vision, even of love, it will kill you. My love of horses has blinded me to the other potentials, sustainable potentials, of my little farm. In the name of love, it kept me rooted in a marriage that was toxic. It stifled the expansion of a vision of myself, my identity that would fostered growth. In my love of VT, I perhaps stayed too long and unwittingly sabotaged any chance to move on. My love of my kids anchored me to this single-parenting paradox leaving me little time, energy or opportunity to grow as a whole person. Don't miss understand, I love VT, I love my farm. I love my kids. But I sometimes wonder what would have been for my dreams, interests and possibilities if I had not held on with such a very tight grip to my love of these passions. Have I learned how to ease off the throttle, let out a little line, pause and see the biggest view? A great horse trainer has said: "when you have a horse on the end of an 8' rope - he's got you on the other end...a good trainer knows when to let go" The power is in the process; learning when to hold on-when to let go...it can mean the difference between the pain of losing something or the relief of letting it go. I'll spend the rest of my life learning how to tell the difference. It is a compelling graphic: "Love_Kills_Slowly.".....ahhh, but what a fabulous way to go.
Which lid did I buy? The survival stats were more compelling, I bought the sexy red, full face; my chauffeurs approve with a wink of their eye. "Let's ride"
peace ~ ell

No comments: