Saturday, July 11, 2009

best~guess~mud and other weather science




You can't get through a day in Vermont without commenting on the weather. It has been a lottery of forecasting. I don't have television so I surf the weather links on the Internet. I monitor weather channel, WCAX tv 3, NOAA (http://www.nws.noaa.gov/), and underground weather (http://www.wunderground.com/)....I like Underground weather the best as it has an easy interface with hourly guesses for a seven day span. Between all of the sites, none of them have been more than 50% accurate up here in the Lamoille Valley where my farmstead sits at the northern foot of Mt. Mansfield. Less than 50% of correct forecasts for this summer; I'd like to have a job where I can get paid whether I am wright or wrong. It makes outdoor work difficult to pursue never mind enjoying it. The rain has been so persistent and poorly calculated that motorcycling has been an armchair day dream for most of June. Riding in a light rain is kind of fun, a change of pace; but when the rain impairs visibility for the driver, and for the cagers sharing the road, then it is discomfort of the stressful type. Seeing and being seen is the golden rule of outliving the ride. With the best-guess-mud of Vermont forecasting being what it is, more than a couple of my friends will give me a jingle on my cell and ask: "Terry, I'm thinking of riding, hiking, biking today; do you smell rain?" It's always a bit of a tickle to hear this query. I can be conducting a clinic or a class and surrounded by horses and eager students in the middle of my pasture, only to stop all activity, look skyward, take a deep breath, smell the ozone thickened air, feel the barometric pressure level upon me and know what will come. I have been 100% accurate all season long. Often I can even make a good guess at how many minutes or hours until the rain will fall upon me. Amazing. No mystery at all. My science is primitive at best. The one limiting condition is that I can only forecast for my immediate location and only if I am outside. So if you're headed for my neck of the woods, and you need to know the status for precipitation, give me a jingle and ask me what I smell; might be I'm more wright than the overpaid, blue screen, broadcasters... oh, and this works for winter and snow as well...
today, I smell rain ~ we'll be on the bike tomorrow taking a long run. Smile! it'll make the rain go away...
peace ~ ell

No comments: