Sunday, July 26, 2009

pillion project...

84 Low Ride

Pillion:(Wikipedia) A pillion is a secondary pad, cushion, or seat behind the main seat or saddle on a horse, motorcycle, or moped. A passenger in this seat is said to "ride pillion" or may themselves be referred to as a "pillion." The word is derived from the Gaelic for "little rug," pillean, which is itself from the Latin pellis for "animal skin." One or more pelts would often have been the form a secondary seat took on horseback, and the usage was carried over to motorcycles... [how I came to ride pillion, now that's another story]

Honda Shadow
Despite the marvelous sunshine this weekend, I could not catch a ride with my biker buddy. Oh well, an unfortunate peril of failing the BRC and not having my own wheels and endorsement to roll over our roads. Reminiscent of "the ride", I did manage to sift through old ride pics from summers past and noticed I've had the privilege to ride on several different bikes. Each picture evoked fond memories or shivers of their follies recalled. I might finally have enough valid experience for a viable comparison of the second seat that each steel horse offered. I'm thinking about the more savvy perspectives from where I was sitting for the ride. I'm no technical expert and a quick study of the choices in custom seats that are available for motorcycles was overwhelming. I can speak though, from the perspective of a petite passenger, weighing in at 128 pounds with not much extra padding over my seat bones. Each bike has its merits and one in particular is plush. So the story will unfold from the least comfortable to the most. A couple of disclaimers though: 1) most of the roads in VT suck, plain and simple. The damaged road tops range from small cracks to huge holes and even missing road (rte 105 in Richford). I can't always see what's coming and so I take the lump in full force ~ ouch as the impact resonates up my spine. 2) some of the bikes are undersized for a comfortable ride as a passenger; meaning they lack the horse power and smooth gearing to accommodate even my little bit of ballast. This can mean fatigue for a pillion who is "dragged" through the ride. These bikes also seemed to lack the shock absorption in the back wheel to take the extra load resulting in a harsh jarring over any irregular pavement. 3) the driver's savvy and consideration for the 2up rider is an acquired talent. While I never felt unsafe, I did notice a difference in the quality of ride when a driver was off with his clutching, slow speed moves, stops and start-offs. Interestingly, like airboarding, driving a motorcycle with a passenger is more comfortable when the man at the dash has a little mass. A well centered bike is happy over the road and that makes a nicer glide for the person in the second seat.

Valkyrie
Sportster
Ultra Classic
The story goes a little like this; it was great fun to ride these bikes with these good guys who invited me and so all observations are with the highest respect for their skills in driving and maintenance of their bikes. It's hard to learn to drive a bike requiring exceptional vigilance and responsive skills; I know this first hand. It's a bit harder to feel comfortable with a passenger... a few years ago, a good friend offered me a ride on his Kawasaki touring bike. It was made for a pillion rider with built in luggage stowage and an easy-chair backrest. The shocks weren't mint and the power was a little light given the hills our roads navigate; this made the ride a bit tiresome. The driver was a veteran biker and very considerate of my comfort. 4 stars for this one. Later that summer, my older brother brought his Honda Shadow up to NH and gave me a short spin over the back roads(former cart paths) near the lake. The bike was quiet, nimble and had a sissy bar. The seat was not supper bad, nor supper good. For a short ride, up to 90 minutes, the Shadow was a fun run. I give it 3 stars. By this time, I'm feeling hooked on riding in the wind. The following summer, I scored a riding buddy on a Harley Davidson Sportster. It had a well padded second seat with sissy bar though it's taller center made me feel more secure riding up close to the driver. ahh, now my favorite way to travel... The foot pegs were perfect for hooking the heel of my cowboy boots making for a spirited posture for me as pillion. The bike is made for the more narrow NEK roads with lots of twisties as it is very nimble and has power o' plenty for hills or speed on the flats, even 2up. Without a windscreen, its a thrashing to go down an interstate at sustained high speeds. A fun ride but 90 minutes, then stopping, was about all I enjoyed before a stretch was needed. I give it 3 1/2 stars. At the end of my second summer of 2up, I was treated to a ride on a Valkyrie. This bike was low and heavy and powerful. It had a sissy bar but no hand grips, so up close was the way to travel. It did have foot boards which are nice for the longer rides but a boot with a low heel is a better fit for the boards. The bike was keen, the driver was careless and that matters. Chose your chauffeur carefully, it can make or muddle the experience. I give the bike 31/2 stars. This summer, I've been out on a Yamaha V Star a couple times. It's a nimble bike with plenty of heft making ride feel secure. It was fatiguing though as the second seat was narrow and underpadded, making it tiring to ride any length of time. The first time out, the driver polished up the vinyl and that made it like riding a slippery fence rail at 60 mph... it had foot boards for my Milwaukee boots but they seemed a bit too short for my long legs adding to the fatigue. No way to let them down, but a change to a taller, plusher seat could make it a sweet enough afternoon twirl. I give it 3 stars. The driver was pretty good, just sparing with the rest-breaks which comes from riding alone allot and not reading a pillion's body language. I need to learn to speak up when I need a stretch. The final, and most appreciated ride for me was the luxury of the Harley Davidson Ultra Classic and its pillion "throne". This bike is made for long runs over any paved road. The second seat is so comfortable that I have dozed off and bumped my driver's helmet when he had to suddenly change gears for road conditions. He's good natured about it but still it's startling. Appointed with a generous seat hosting built in stereo and ample footboards for any boots I wore. The one very minor oddity was that the tailwind went up over my back sending my silk scarf forward into his field of vision. A little wardrobe adjustment solved that. One more notable feature as the pillion rider, the Ultra Classic purred in its effortless glide over the road. A powerful bike with grace and elegance for the pair on board...it never strained, never lurched...just a gentle glide as it is aptly named. I give it 5 stars...though the owner tells me a Honda Goldwing is ultimate passenger ride, if I am ever invited...we'll see. I am a fan of those HD loud pipes...
So for me, the summer of riding is about half over. Hopefully my notations may inspire others to ride 2up with an understanding that the comfort of the pillion fixings, the power and balance of the bike, a wind screen to deflect that force and most importantly the savvy and courtesy of the driver can make or break the quality of the experience. If I had had a rugged ride first time out several years ago, I would have never gone back. I'm so glad for the quality of that first ride over the road; thanks Rene for illuminating my summers...
peace ~ ell


update in the Pillion Project:
I now ride 2Up regularly on my bikerman's 84 LowRide. I have to say for a smallish, pillowed seat with a padded sissybar, it's pretty comfortable. Though it's a good thing I love this man as it puts me close up to him for the ride. It is a nimble bike with plenty of giddy-up when we need it. Taking twisties on this chrome pnoy is way fun as he scrapes pegs leaning deeply into the corners. I can go about 100 miles on VT's chunky roads before a break is needed. Again, the pegs are set at a place that let's me hook my boot heels and my knees are lower than my hips. That seems to matter for me. Fun for a day run but the dressers are the best for the multi-day, high mileage adventures.


No comments: